Millennial olive trees
Characteristics of the work
- Oil canvas
- 92 x 73cm
- Josep Ventosa (Barcelona, 1987-Port d’Andratx 1982)
- He is one of the world’s most important artists of Majorca’s landscape of the 20th century.
- Josep Ventosa is an outstanding artist whose art can be divided in four stages, the first in which he is formed and developed in cubism, the second with a more classical and academic painting where Catalan landscapes predominate. The third stage begins after he moved to Mallorca in 1940 where he falls in love with Majorca’s aesthetics. The fourth and last starts in the 1950s until his death in 1982, there are works of large fields of olive trees in Mallorca that served as inspiration for many artists later.
- 1947 exhibits at Costa Gallery, Palma de Mallorca.
- 1948 onwards he exhibited in Barcelona, Madrid, Sabadell, etc.
- 1982 the City Council of Andratx names him illustrious son of the town.